Friday, February 19, 2010

Super Day at Super G

Today, I drove up to Whistler again. Since I knew that I was going up there, I made sure to pack a bag with pyjamas and clean underwear and socks - I am not going to get caught again!

My guest was doing some more filming for Panasonic and this time we were at Creekside. I was able to take the chairlift up to the finish area of the slope and I could see the skiers coming down the hill in the men's Super G event. I also saw Miga and Quatchi for the first time!
I stayed at the base of the hill for quite a while and watched several skiers come down the mountain. I actually captured american skier Bode Miller on film as he approached the finish line.

Other than watching the skiing, I drove a couple of guests around to the village and then we all headed back to Vancouver.

In the evening, Debbie and Nelson had plans to come into town and meet some friends. The idea was to go bar hopping and I was going to drive the three of us home again at the end of the evening. We started out at the Ice Bar at Monk's restaurant on False Creek. Alas, the wait was over 45 minutes so we decided to pass.

We took the water taxi across the creek to Yaletown and started looking for a bar. There were large crowds of people everywhere and the lineups at the bars were horrendous. Eventually, we managed to find a lounge where we could get drinks. We spent about an hour and a half at the Shore Club before leaving. We were all rather hungry but could not find anywhere to eat either. The streets were now just packed with people.

Granville and Robson Streets are both closed for the duration of the games and have been turned into pedestrian avenues. However, this evening, there were several more streets closed because the crowds were just so huge. For the most part, people were just out to have fun and were all in a very good mood. There was clearly a lot of drinking being done but we only saw a small handful of people who were totally drunk. Despite the thick crowds and the need to push through, no one was getting upset and no one was in the least bit aggressive. We did see a lot of police officers who were standing by just in case.

Since we never found any food downtown, we took the water taxi back across the creek and ended up having pizza at Nelson's friend's house where we had started the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment